Friday, December 11, 2009

Hair loss

I wonder why it is that some people’s first reaction when I mention that I will be receiving chemo is “will you lose your hair?” It’s not that this question bothers me (o.k., well maybe it bothers me a little bit), but I just wonder why it is the first question. Perhaps its just that a bald head is really what identifies a cancer patient or perhaps its because those individuals can’t imagine the thought of losing their own hair. Whatever it is, I’m sure there has to be a better response unless your planning on buying me a hat.

The hair loss doesnt bother me to much. Dont get me wrong, it sucks, no doubt about it. But I would gladly trade my hair for 6 months in order to get rid of this terrible disease. In the scheme of things, its a small sacrifice to make.

There are also, I think, a lot worse side affects to chemo than hair loss which could include heart damage, increased risk of obtaining other cancers, memory loss (also known as chemo brain...I guess that’s like pregnancy brain), permanent tingling in your fingertips, and much more. Yes, unfortunately with these kinds of drugs comes serious side affects but what alternative do you have? I say none.

So, then what do I do to deal with the hair loss....I prepare by shopping with some fabulous girlfriends for wigs, bandanas and hats. Which by the way, we did last weekend. But more importantly, when I need a laugh, I have my husband (or my friends husbands -- you will look fabulous as a blonde Chuck!) wear my wig around the house.

And, when the next person says to you they need to have chemotherapy, try to hold back the desire to ask if he/she will loose their hair unless you are going to follow it up by asking: “Do you prefer knit or fleece?”

1 comment:

  1. Pamela Beard WheelerJanuary 2, 2010 at 2:09 PM

    Just thinking of you. That's all. Just thinking about how much I love you, what a great friend you are. Thinking about how much I appreciate this blog, your attitude and your intimate writing skills. Don't get me wrong. I would follow your travels even if your writing wasn't good - but I appreciate that you are a great writer. For me, this blog is like having your closer to us all here in California. I hate that I am not physically with you atthis time in your life. But, I AM with you. Love - Pam

    ReplyDelete