Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Round 2 Done!


As most of you know, I spent new years eve in the “infusion room”. I think we were there until about 7 p.m., picked up some food on the way home and I was in bed by 8:30 p.m. Heck of a night.

It was a long weekend after that! (Just ask Todd, I was not a good patient.) Friday I felt kind of crappy, but then was hit bad on Saturday and Sunday. Felt awful. It’s hard to describe what it feels like. There is the nauseousness, and overall feeling of tiredness. The second or third day, the sore muscles set in. But then there is just a general feeling of well, I guess being run over by a truck. I dont know, I think its only one of those things that people who experience it can understand. (Kind of like the pain when your hair starts falling out. It’s an odd feeling, to actually have your hair hurt! I cant tell you how good it felt when the hairdresser asked me if I had a lot of hair pain before she shaved my head. Yes!!! It was sooo good to have someone understand that!!)

Back to why I was a bad patient....I was not drinking my liquids as I should have been (I was eating though). The problem is the absolute horrible taste in my mouth from the chemo. It’s like a metallic taste. It goes away as the days go on, but it lasts at least a week or two following treatment. Though I would not be surprised if it remains constant for the last few treatments. This metallic taste is why I stopped eating beef from the last chemo in 2001/2002. The bad taste was so strong with beef, that I stopped eating it completely during the 6 months of chemo and then just never really regained my taste for it again after that. Right now, food is not the problem, its liquid for some reason. I am struggling to find something that I can drink the first few days after treatment that doesnt make me gag when I take a sip. I did just discover a juicer thanks to my dear friend Chris and I must say that came in handy on Monday. Made a wonderful pineapple, apple and strawberry juice mix. Went down pretty good. The only problem was my dear sweet husband marked all the drink bottles in the house so he could see how much I drank while he was at work on Monday, and well he just couldnt tell how much I drank because I made my own juice. Fooled him, didnt I.

I know some of you are wondering what I look like these days. I’ve posted a pic of me in my new “external cranial prosthesis” (AKA wig). I think it matches pretty close to my hair. Let me know what you think! A shout out (does anyone say that anymore) goes to my girlfriends Jennifer and Chris for helping pick out my external cranial prosthesis and to my wonderful husband for going with me on “installation day”. As expected, my hair started falling out 16 days after treatment. It starts with just a few strands, then each day, it seems to at least double in regards to how much is falling out. It was tolerable for a few days (though I did wear a baseball cap on Christmas Eve to prevent clumps of my hair in my family’s food). By Monday after Christmas, I was ready for it to go because it was just becoming unbearable. The hospital recommended a great wig shop, which is also a salon (the owner is a breast cancer survivor herself) so its a comfortable place. Though the woman in the salon chair next to me, was a bit shocked when the clippers came out and the salon owner shaved my head. (oops, she chose the wrong chair didnt she.)

Now, its been almost a week since treatment and I’m feeling good. Every day has been better, though today feels like a bit of a set back. I’m thinking it means I am at the low point with my white blood cells so, this is when we need to be careful I dont get sick. I’ll be confined to the house this weekend so I am not exposed to germs while my counts are low but I am looking forward to having a whole week and a half of hopefully feeling good before next treatment.

Lots of love.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE the pic. I think that the external cranial prosthesis looks excellent and just looks like you got your haircut, but not a different style. You just look like you and are showing off a great smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look adorable! I would never have thought it wasn't your real hair. But I am most in awe at the warrior in you. This is tough stuff to go through, and then to turn around and write about it as well says so much about the "tools" you have to fight this. I wish I lived closer to you so that I could help you or just be there for you, but I am glad to see you have a good support team. Yeah smoothies often taste the best and can stay down... and if you have a Jamba Juice place or something like that near you they will often make whatever you want too. What are they giving you for the nausea and side effects? What about medical cannabis?(edibles are great) Just sayin.... Whatever you take , from my experience, it works best to consume/take right before or during treatments and continue to during that window of time you usually get the bad side effects so that you chase or actually stay ahead of the nausea and ickiness. Often if you wait for the side effects to kick in to take something it takes longer to help or doesn't quite do the job. It is sort of like drinking water before you become hydrated. Just a thought.. you might not want to try it, but that is what worked for me, and also several other cancer patients I know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This could be the new style you adopt when your beautiful, natural hair grows back. It looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Margaret Arbini MadonnaJanuary 8, 2010 at 11:38 AM

    Lynn - You look great in your External prosthesis, I thought it was your real hair. My thoughts are with you girlfriend and I know you will beat this thing because you are a fighter with a core of steel. Margaret Arbini Madonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you hadn't said anything about the external cranial what the hell ever thing ma jig I would not have noticed. But that is proably the guy in me.

    ReplyDelete