Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Beating cancer to death with a toothpick

I admit, I have days where I feel like we are beating this cancer to death with only a toothpick. It's a LONG, SLOW process and time seems to be moving at a snail's pace. Then, I do have days where I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. (At least the light at the end of chemo). Today, was an odd combination of feeling both.

I looked at my calendar this morning and for the next few months, it was empty except for chemo appointments. As you know, I'm a planner and I like to have a lot of activities planned but unfortunately we've had to clear the schedule. I found it quite depressing. So, I decided to look at my glass as half full and plan some activities since we are officially halfway through with the chemo treatments. But then moments later I realized that in my lifetime, so far, I've had 15 chemo treatments. Really, 15 chemo treatments in my lifetime...no wonder I feel like I'm beating cancer to death with a toothpick. Well, if I've had 15 treatments so far, and I only have 3 more, heck I'm WAY more than halfway done, right?

Then, today as I put my mind back to planning some adventures when this is all I over, I constantly came back to the one thought regarding how quickly life changes. Just a few months ago, I was like all of you getting ready for the holidays, shopping and decorating and then bam.....someone says "you've got cancer."

Since the last cancer go-around in 2001, Todd and I try to live life and not put off things that make us happy. You dont know what tomorrow will bring and it pains me to clear my calendar the next few months of things that we have been so looking forward to like a weekend at the Post Ranch Inn, or for me learning to ski, or attending Frozen Dead Guy Days ( check it out, you will want to go). So, I've decided to put this challenge out to you my dear friends....I challenge you to think of something you have been wanting to do but put off for no good reason (no good reason like I dont have the time) and get it done before my last chemo treatment (March 25th). Go out and do it my friends. Life changes to quickly.

Of course, you MUST share your stories with me as you take on this challenge because I need to live vicarously through you for a few months. Think about it my friends. Who's up for the challenge?? Tell me about the fabulous destination you have been putting off traveling to and book that damn trip. Or tell me about how you've always wanted to learn to speak Italian and you've just signed up for a course. What ever it is, "just do it." (Gosh, someone should snap up that "just do it" slogan, it sounds pretty good.)

(By the way, Bonnie Jean, you are excluded from this activity because I know what you have been wanting to do for a long time, and you finally did it. I am so proud of you and you will find your next great adventure soon.)

Lots of love.

3 comments:

  1. What??!! I'm excluded?!! :) I was wondering as I was reading if "hey, I just quit my job" counted until BAM! Now I need *another* adventure within my current one, right? Well, it looks like I'm headed to Haiti this weekend so maybe that will tide me over until I get back to my more "planned" expeditions :) As with every day, I will carry the courage and faith with me that I've learned from your example. Your an inspiration, my ass-kicking friend. We are all looking forward to many adventures WITH you again soon...

    Much love,
    bonnie jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn,

    Thank you for sharing your experiences in your engagement with cancer. My ex-wife has lupus and is going through a second round of chemo so I understand it a little bit. I write a blog called OurToughTimes.com, it's about how I got hit with divorce, foreclosure and unemployment at the same time recently and how I deal with it. Your blog really has an upbeat tone and I really appreciate that and also your personal experiences give us all hope and strength. One thing I am learning about adversity is that in an ironic way it allows us to be of greater use to others around us because they watch us closely in tough times to see how we react, and if we do a good job of it they actually find strength in their own live to face their own travails.
    Keep writing, you have a lot to say ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sis,
    You have always inspired me, now more than ever. In tribute to you, I am taking a few minor steps in preparation for, hopefully, bigger steps.
    I am retiring in April. Never wanted to be in business, I always wanted to explore creativity. But I wanted to raise 3 amazing sons, and a business career provided that. I am grateful for the opportunities and experiences I have received, now new opportunities in new directions.
    I am now an ordained minister and looking forward to performing marriage ceremonies. I find I love getting to know the couple and preparing a ceremony just for them.
    I am going to get re-involved in astrology to assist people in life planning, preparation and understanding and plan to learn Reiki for animals.
    And, yes, that trip to Italy.

    I love the fierce determination, you and Todd have, to fight the cancer battle and win.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    Love you both,
    Mito

    ReplyDelete